Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tales of MobiDiction, pt 2: Texting Waitress

I received this story a couple of days ago:

"I'm not ashamed to say that I am mobi-dicted. It's the best way to stay connected to friends and keep current on news. But what happened to me the other day borders on embarrassing so I thought I'd share it with you.

I wait tables in a busy restaurant. Naturally, it's a management rule that servers can't have phones with them during a shift so that we stay focused on our tables. I always follow this rule, but one day last week I got so involved in texting a friend before work and didn't want to stop when my shift began. So I kept my phone on me and covertly typed a quick message whenever I had a spare moment. Multitasking was a little tough, but the diners stayed happy and my managers had no idea about the texting, so I figured it was all running smoothly.

A little later, when I had a spare moment, I checked to see what my friend had just texted me. He'd written: 'What are you talking about? Turkey club, filet, side of mashed potatoes? Is this a joke I'm not getting?' I didn't understand, so I checked the message I'd just sent. Indeed, I'd accidentally texted him my most recent table's order instead of sending it back to the kitchen. I froze for a second. If I'd sent him the order, what did I put into the computer to go back to the kitchen?

I raced to the kitchen. The cooks were laughing and smiling at me. "So Jenny told Maria that she was fat?" one cook said, trying his best to keep a straight face. My managers didn't find the 'mixed message' quite as funny, but fortunately it only amounted to a slap on the wrist. It's the only time mobi-diction has crept into my job, but my coworkers won't let me forget it anytime soon."

Please, keep sending your stories in!

No comments: